top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Commonly asked questions about vehicle titling and registration
in Austin TX and Travis County.


Can I make an appointment?

We are walk-in only and not able to take appointments. 

We strive for the best possible customer experience with a friendly staff and modern waitlist system that allows you to check-in upon arrival and wait in the comfort of your vehicle until you received a text message letting you know that our clerks are ready to serve you.  
There is no need to arrive prior to 9am as we have sufficient staff to see all customers during business hours with minimal wait times.

We are open Monday through Friday, 9am to 3pm. We close at 3pm sharp and cannot accept customers after this time.

What is the best time to visit to avoid a long wait?

We recommend mid-week - Tuesday through Thursday and mid-morning - 10am through 11am. Try to avoid the morning, lunch and closing rush. We always the shortest wait times in Travis County and we aim to have customers seen in 30 minutes or less. We cannot guarantee an expected wait time as we are walk-in only and certain transaction take longer than others.

We are open Monday through Friday, 9am to 3pm. There is no need to arrive prior to 9am as we have sufficient staff to see all customers during business hours. We close at 3pm sharp and cannot accept customers after this time.

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept:

  • Cash

  • Check - checks will be made out to "Travis County Tax Office".

  • Credit card or debit card - there is a $3 fee for transactions up to $100 dollars and a 3% fee on transactions $100 or more.

What forms of ID are valid?

State law requires you bring one of the following types of photo identification:

  • Driver’s license or state identification certification from a U.S. state or territory

  • U.S. or foreign passport

  • U.S. military identification

  • North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) identification or identification issued under a U.S. Status of Forces Agreement

  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security identification

  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation

  • U.S. Department of State identification

Can I title or register a vehicle on behalf of someone else?

Frequently asked as "Can I title or register a vehicle for my spouse?" or "Can someone else transfer a title on my behalf?"

Yes. With a signed Limited Power Of Attorney Form VTR-271. A limited power of attorney gives someone else the power to act on behalf of another individual for a very limited purpose, such as transferring a motor vehicle. You must also include a copy of the Grantor's government-issued photo ID

In the case of registration renewal you can process the transaction for another party as long as you share the same last name or address.

Vehicle Inspections

Do you provide vehicle inspections?

We do not provide vehicle emissions inspection services. There are many Official Vehicle Inspection Stations available in the area. We recommend choosing an inspection station in Travis County to ensure that you receive the appropriate safety inspection.


What are the minimum insurance requirements in Texas?

Your insurance will need to meet the minimum required by Texas Department of Public Safety. They are:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in one crash,

  • $60,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in one crash, and

  • $25,000 for damage to or destruction of property of others in one crash.n station in Travis County to ensure that you receive the appropriate safety inspection.

You maybe provide a digital copy as proof of insurance. Temporary insurance cards are also accepted.

Do you sell insurance?

We do not sell insurance. Our customers have had a great experience with Goosehead Insurance. Please note, we are not affiliated. 

Bonded Titles
Bonded Titles

Do you sell surety bonds?

We do not sell surety bonds however once you have obtained the required paperwork, see our Bonded Titles page for more information, we can help you apply for an official Texas title.


Our customers have had a great experience with a nearby business, J&M Surety Bonds. Please note, we are not affiliated. 

J&M Surety Bonds

9707 FM 812 STE 105

Austin, TX  78719

Title & Registration

How long does it take to receive my title?

It may take as much as 4 to 6 weeks to receive your title by mail from TxDMV. You will, however, receive your license plates and registration sticker immediately, if you are registering your vehicle, after all requirements are met and applicable fees are paid.

Can I transfer a vehicle title without an inspection?

Yes. You may transfer a title without an inspection if it is a "title-only" transfer. A title-only transfer does not include registration and will not receive license plates / registration sticker.

You may also transfer title and register a vehicle without an inspection as long as the vehicle has valid registration at the time of transfer.

Can you process title and/registration of vehicles purchased at auction?

Yes. The auction house you purchased the vehicle from should supply you with all required documents.

Can you process salvaged title transfers?

Yes. Bring the salvaged certificate and we can process your transaction. If you intend to register the vehicle you must provide a Rebuilt Vehicle Statement Form VTR-61 along with all regular required documents for title and registration

What if I have lost my vehicle title?

Frequently asked as "Can I get a copy of my title?"


You may apply for a copy using the Application for a Certified Copy of Title - Form VTR-34 - if you have lost your auto title. This can be found on the TxDMV website. All recorded owners must sign the form and provide photo ID, or a copy, at time of application.

Alternatively, you can visit our location where we have the appropriate forms and can help you apply. Our fees are $25 + $2 mail-in fee.

How can I remove a lienholder from my title?

To remove a lienholder from your title you will need:

  • Proof or release of lien in the form of a original Release of Lien letter from the lienholder OR front of title signed by lienholder releasing it. 

  • Original title

  • Form 130-U

  • ID

Can I register my vehicle if I'm not a US citizen?

Yes. You must provide a legal passport other valid form of identification. See "What forms of ID are valid?" on this page.

Do you provide registration for antique or classic vehicles?

Yes we can process your registration, however, we don't stock antique or classic vehicle license plates at our location. Upon registration you will be issued a temporary paper license plate which can be used until you receive your metal license plates by mail from Travis County.

How can I change the address on my title?

Your title address record can be updated via the instructions on this TxDMV Form VTR-146. Fees will apply. Note: It is okay if your title still displays an old address. Generally it is only your registration that must have a current address.

Do I need to come to your office to complete a title transfer if I've sold a vehicle?

No. If you have property signed back of the title and recorded the odometer reading then only the buyer of the vehicle will need to be present. 


For your protection, we recommend that you file a Vehicle Transfer Notification within 30 days of the sale date to remove your liability for anything the purchaser may do with the vehicle.

Can you provide a replacement if my registration sticker or license plate was lost or stolen?

Yes. Simply bring your photo ID and we will issue a replacement. You must be on the vehicle record. Fee is $6.50.

I have an out-of-state title. Do I need to apply for a Texas title before I can sell my  vehicle?

If the out-of-state title is already your name and you're the only owner listed on the title you can sell it without transferring it. The buyer will take the original title to apply for a new Texas title.

Can I keep my old license plates when registering a new vehicle?

Yes, you can keep your old license plates. You must bring your old plates with you to complete this transaction.

Vehicle Title + Registration Processing for Travis County, Austin
For More Information On Our Notary Services Please Contact Us.
bottom of page